Hollywood Elite Donate to March For Our Lives, Amidst Conspiracies
Several high-profile celebrities and Hollywood players have begun to donate to March For Our Lives, an event formed by survivors of last week’s shooting in Florida where 17 people died at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.
March For Our Lives will take place as a rally in Washington, D.C. on March 24. Students and supporters are aiming to obtain a bill that will address gun issues, preventing the possibility of future fatal shootings.
On Tuesday this week, actor, director and producer George Clooney and his wife Amal announced that they would donate $500,000 in the names of their 8-month-old twins, Alexander and Ella.
“Our family will be there on March 24 to stand side by side with this incredible generation of young people from all over the country, and in the name of our children Ella and Alexander, we’re donating $500,000 to help pay for this groundbreaking event,” George Clooney said in a statement.
“Our children’s lives depend on it,” he added.
This isn’t their first time donating funds for a cause. In August, they made a $1 million donation through their Clooney Foundation to the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) to combat hate groups.
Media powerhouse Oprah Winfrey followed shortly on Tuesday, tweeting: “George and Amal, I couldn’t agree with you more,” referencing their statement. “I am joining forces with you and will match your $500,000 donation to ‘March For Our Lives.’ These inspiring young people remind me of the Freedom Riders of the 60s who also said we’ve had ENOUGH and our voices will be heard.”
Oscar-winning director Steven Spielberg and his wife Kate Capshaw also donated the same amount, with a statement saying: “The young students in Florida and now across the country are already demonstrating their leadership with a confidence and maturity that belies their ages. We are joining in this movement with a donation of $500,000.”
Hours later, veteran studio chief Jeffrey Katzenberg and his wife Marilyn also announced a $500,000 donation, according to Variety.
Conspiracy theories have also sprung up in response to the new political uprising, allegedly from pro-gun advocates and right-wing politicians. Claims pointed to the idea that some of the students are merely pawns to challenge existing laws. The theory described them as “crisis actors,” who travel to the sites of shootings to instigate fury against guns.
However, the National Rifle Association (NRA) has also expressed sympathy towards the victims of the shooting. Dana Loesch, the spokesperson for the NRA, agreed that the gunman should not have had the right to attain the firearms he used for his rampage.
“I don’t believe this insane monster should have ever been able to obtain a firearm,” Loesch said Wednesday night, calling the suspect “nuts.”
“We have to start … following up on red flags,” she later added.