Iraq and Iran Execute Coordinated Attack on US Military Bases in Iraq
Only hours after Iran laid the slain body of General Qassem Soleimani, Commander in Chief of Iran’s elite Quds Units, Tehran military command ordered the launch of a barrage of ballistic missiles against all U.S. military bases and interests in Iraq.
So far a reported 500 missiles have been fired, leading to reported but not yet confirmed news that numerous US Fighter Aircraft inside Ain al Assad base have been destroyed by Iranian missiles sources in Iraq.
Citizen Truth can confirm that Iran’s retaliatory attack on the United States’ interests in Iraq comes in full knowledge and participation of the Iraqi government. Sources in Baghdad have stressed that caretaker prime minister Adil Abdul Mahdi is fully backing Iran’s operation in view of Washington’s repeated violation of its sovereignty and national dignity.
On Sunday, Iraq’s Parliament voted a law in which it expressly call for the withdrawal of all foreign troops from its soil.
“The government commits to revoke its request for assistance from the international coalition fighting Islamic State due to the end of military operations in Iraq and the achievement of victory,” the resolution read.
“The Iraqi government must work to end the presence of any foreign troops on Iraqi soil and prohibit them from using its land, airspace or water for any reason.”
Ahead of the vote, chants of “No, no, America…long live Iraq,” rang out inside the hall, before Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi also called on parliament to end foreign troop presence.
“Despite the internal and external difficulties that we might face, it remains best for Iraq on principle and practically,” said Abdul Mahdi in an address to parliament ahead of the vote.
Within minutes of the Iranian missile attack, Iraq’s Popular Mobilization Forces joined in by firing rockets at Al Assad airbase in Iraq as well as Camp Taji (also known as Camp Cooke) just north of the Iraqi capital, Baghdad.
“The brave soldiers of IRGC’s aerospace unit have launched a successful attack with tens of ballistic missiles” on the Al Assad base, in the name of General Soleimani, the IRGC said in a statement published in the early hours of Wednesday morning, before adding: “We call on Americans to recall all their soldiers back home to prevent more damage.”
With further threats of escalation looming, Moqtada Al Sadr, who has long been a fierce advocate for violence against any and all foreign military footprint in Iraq has now vowed to join in with the PMU efforts “to liberate Iraq from occupation.”
At the time of writing, Iran has launched a second wave of attack on a number of American facilities in Iraq, according to the semi-official Tasnim news agency. “A few minutes ago [3:30 am local time] the second wave of Iranian missile attacks on the US base is launched,” the news outlet reported.
With tensions quickly escalating and reports that the United States ordered several of its warplanes to fly into Iraq airspace from its neighboring base in Dubai, Iraqi parliamentarians have squarely put all blame on the U.S. President, stressing that if not for the assassination of both General Soleimani and Abu Mahdi Al Mohendis, one of the PMU high ranking commanders, and Trump’s threats of further retaliation against both Iran and Iraq, the region would not face the barrel of a gun.
Trump vowed Sunday to hit Iraq with penalties “like they’ve never seen before” if American troops are forced out on an unfriendly basis.
“It’ll make Iranian sanctions look somewhat tame,” the president told reporters aboard Air Force One.
Trump tweeted Saturday that the Pentagon had put together a list of 52 targets — one for each of the Americans held during the 1979-1980 hostage crisis — including ones “important to Iran & the Iranian culture” that the U.S. would strike if Iran responded aggressively to the drone strike assassination of Soleimani last Friday. On Sunday, the president doubled down on those threats in comments to reporters aboard Air Force One.
“They’re allowed to kill our people. They’re allowed to torture and maim our people. They’re allowed to use roadside bombs and blow up our people,” Trump said. “And we’re not allowed to touch their cultural site? It doesn’t work that way.”
The Pentagon so far has said it would take “necessary measures” to defend US troops and regional allies following reports of Iranian missile strikes on US facilities in Iraq, confirming that over a dozen missiles were used in the attack.
“Iran launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles against US military and coalition forces in Iraq. It is clear that these missiles were launched from Iran and targeted at least two Iraqi military bases,” the Pentagon said in a statement on Tuesday, adding that it was now working on “initial battle damage assessments.”
“As we evaluate the situation and our response, we will take all necessary measures to protect and defend US personnel, partners and allies in the region.”